If you have a problem with a funeral industry service provider, it’s best to try to resolve it first with the funeral director. If you are dissatisfied with the funeral services you receive and cannot resolve the matter directly,  you may contact the licensing board that regulates the funeral industry in your state.  These organizations want to know about problems with their members, and some may also offer mediation help. Some additional agencies that could help are listed below.

You also can contact your state Attorney General’s office, local consumer protection agencies, or file a complaint with the FTC, either online or by calling 877-382-4357. Although the Commission cannot resolve individual problems for consumers, it can act against a company if it sees a pattern of possible law violations.